San Miguel County is named for the San Miguel River and the San Miguel Mountains which were named for Saint Michel the Archangel.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Montrose County
E – Ouray County and San Juan County
S – Dolores County
W – San Juan County, Utah
Created: November 1, 1861
Telluride 1883 – present
County Courthouse – Telluride
Location: 308 West Colorado Avenue / Oak Street
Style: Romanesque / Italianate
Architect: Varian and Sterner of Denver
Contractor: W H Nelson
Description: The building faces south and is a two story dark red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Telluride on the highest point on Colorado Avenue. The central square red colored brick clock tower rises from the first story entrance with small balcony on the second story, clock on the third story and steep pyramid roof at the top. The base of the building is course stone with dual steps to the first story entrance. The roof is hipped. The courtrooms are located on the second story. The building houses the District Court and County Court of the 7th Judicial District. The building was restored since 2002. The architect was Taylor Lohr Architect, LLC. To the southeast is the Old County Jail constructed with stone.
Note: Bricks from the first courthouse were salvaged after the fire to rebuild the second and present courthouse.
History: The county was created in 1861 and San Miguel City was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was a two story brick structure located on the southwest corner of Colorado Avenue and Fir Street in 1885 to 1886. In 1887, San Miguel City changed name to Telluride. The courthouse was destroyed by fire on January 13, 1887 and the second and present courthouse was constructed in 1887.
County Courthouse - Telluride
Old County Jail
Photos taken 2011