Montrose County is named for the town of Montrose, which was named from the novel A Legend of Montrose published by Walter Scott in 1819.
Created: April 16, 1889
Montrose 1889 – present
County Courthouse – Montrose
Location: 387 South 1st Street / South Townsend Avenue
Built: 1922 – 1923
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: William Norman Bowman of Denver
Contractor: White & Okey General Contractors of Montrose
Description: The building faces north and is a three story gray colored limestone, brick and concrete structure. The north front has a slightly projecting center section with four columns rising to a header above the second story. The roof line is flat. On the west side is the old stone jail and on the south side is the modern Administration Building.
Note: The first courthouse was in an adobe building, purchased in 1885. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $163,993 and the final cost was $225,000.
County Justice Center - Montrose
Location: 1200 North Grand Avenue / North Townsend Avenue
Built: 1996 – 1998
Architect: C W Fentress J H Bradburn & Associates
Contractor: H W Houston Construction Company
Description: The building faces west and is a three story stone, concrete and glass structure. The northwest corner has a circular open tower with recessed entrance. Behind the entrance, the building rises to a hipped roof. Along the first story is a covered walkway with are stone pillars. The third story is recessed The roof line is flat.
County Court House – Nucla
Location: 300 Main Street / West 3rd Avenue
Description: The building faces east and is a one story dark red colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located at Nucla which is southwest of Montrose.
East – Gunnison County
West – San Juan County, Utah
Photos taken 2011