San Juan County is named for the San Juan River which flows through the county and was named by Spanish explorers for “Saint John”.
Created: February 17, 1880
Monticello 1895 – present
County Courthouse – Monticello
Location: 117 South Main Street / East 100 Street South
Built: 1920 – 1922
Architect: Ashton and Nielson Contractors
Contractor: Ashton & Nielson Contractors
Description: The building faces west and is a two story dark red colored brick structure. The building has four stone columns supporting a wide white headed above the entrance. Above are four white vertical bands with an arched window on the second story. Above this is a white framed pediment with a white cornice along the roof line. The first story windows are arched. There is a rough stone basement. On the east side is an addition constructed in 1955.
Note: The bid for construction was accepted at $57,000. In 1922, the first two occupied rooms in the courthouse were without adequate heating and modern plumbing. In 1927, the rooms of the clerk and treasurer were occupied. The total cost of the completed building was $47,937.
County Public Safety Building – Monticello
Location: 297 South Main Street / East 300 Street South
Built: 1988 – 1989
Description: The building faces southwest and is a one story dark red colored brick structure. The building has an over hang on the front supported by concrete pillars. The roof line is flat. The building houses the County Court.
N – Grand County
Photos taken 2008