Dolores County is named for the Dolores River, which was named by the Spanish as “Rio de Nuestra Senora de los Dolores” which means “River of our lady of Sorrows”.
Created: February 19, 1881
Rico 1881 – 1945
Dove Creek 1945 – present
County Courthouse – Dove Creek
Location: 409 North Main Street / East 4th Street
Built: 1952 – 1953
Architect: C Francis Pillsbury
Contractor: Burl F Crone and J Clarence Ritchey
Description: The building faces west and is a two story buff colored brick structure. The entrance in the center is glass with glass panel above. The south section is one story and the north section is two story. The roof line is flat.
Note: The first courthouse in Dove Creek was a building built in 1912 and occupied in 1945 when the county seat was moved.
Old County Courthouse - Rico
Location: 2 North Commercial Street / Martz Street
Built: 1891 – 1892
Architect: John James Huddart
Contractor: Charles H Carpenter
Description: The building is a two story structure. The served as a courthouse until 1945.
E – San Juan County
S – Montezuma County
W – San Juan County, Utah
Photos taken 2011