Lonoke County is named for an oak tree that stood on the site of the current county seat and is derived from “lone” and “oak”.
Created: April 16, 1873
Lonoke 1873 – present
County Courthouse – Lonoke
Location: 301 North Center Street / East 3rd Street
Built: 1926 – 1929
Architect: H Ray Burks of Little Rock
Contractor: Herman and McCain
Description: The building faces west and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The west front has a recessed section with arched entrance on the first story, arched windows on the second story and six columns rising to the top of the second story. There is a small balcony above the entrance. The roof line is flat.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1873. The building burned in 1881. The previous courthouse was designed by Harding & Bailey and constructed by W S Sterrett & Company in 1885 at a cost of $15.000. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $200,000.
N – White County
E – Prairie County
S – Jefferson County
Photos taken 2011 and 2017