Grant County is named for Ulysses Grant, who led the Union forces to victory in the American Civil War and was elected President of the United States.
Created: February 4, 1869
Sheridan 1869 – present
County Courthouse – Sheridan
Location: 103 West Center Street / South Main Street
Built: 1963 – 1964
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: Ginocchio, Cromwell, Carter and Nyland, Inc.
Contractor: Ernest J Ward, Inc.
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick structure. The central building has a large porch at the north side with four large pillars rising to a pediment. Above on the sloped roof is a square red brick and white wood cupola with clock. On the east and west sides are one story wings with sloped roofs.
E – Jefferson County
Photos taken 2011