Clay County is named for Henry Clay, who was from Kentucky and who was a United States Representative, a United States Senator and Secretary of State.
Created: December 7, 1866
Ashland 1866 – present
County Courthouse – Ashland
Location: 25 Court Square / 1st Avenue
Built: 1903 – 1906
Style: Italian Renaissance Revival
Architect: Charles W Carlton
Contractor: Harper & Barnes of Cleveland, Tennessee
Description: The building faces south and is a three story buff colored colored brick and stone. The south and north sides have projecting porticoes with three arches and recessed entrance on the first story, and with two columns rising from the second story to the top of the third story with pediment above. On each corner of the building is a round dome. On the center of the roof is an octagonal dome with clock, small cupola and statue of Justice at the top. The roof line is flat.
Note: The original courthouse was built in 1866 which burned and was rebuilt in 1878.
North – Cleburne County
East – Randolph County
West – Talladega County
Photos taken 2010