Cleburne County is named for Patrick Cleburne, who was a major general in the Confederate States Army.
Created: December 6, 1866
Edwardsville 1866 – 1905
Heflin 1905 – present
County Courthouse – Heflin
Location: 120 Vickery Street / Burns Street
Built: 1906 – 1907
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Charles W Carlton
Contractor: F B Hull Construction Company
Description: The building faces east and is a two story cream colored brick structure. The east front has a projecting center section with three arches on the first story and two large columns rising from the second story to the top of third story with pediment above. The building is tired with arched windows on the second story. On the center of the roof is a square dome with clock and small cupola at the top. The building was remodeled in 1938 under the Federal Emergency Program. The architect was Horace N Warren sand the contractor was Ogletree Construction Company.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Cleburne County Courthouse
N – Cherokee County
Photos taken 2010