Robertson County

US States / O-U / Texas / Robertson County
0373T14

Robertson County is named for Sterling Clack Robertson, who was the founder of a colony in Texas.

 

Created:  December 14, 1837

County Seat: 

Old Franklin  1837 – 1850

Wheelock     1850 – 1854

Owensville    1854 – 1870

Calvert          1870 – 1879

Franklin        1879 – present

 

County Courthouse – Franklin

 

Location:  102 East Decherd Street / Center Street

Built:  1882 – 1883

Style:  Second Empire

Architect:  Frederick E Ruffini

Contractor:  James B Smith

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a three story cut stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The south front has a central tower with arched entrance on the first story, arched windows with balcony on the second story and pediment at the roof line. The corners of the building have square towers with mansard roofs. On the roof is a large square cupola with clock and black colored dome at the top. The roof is mansard. The County Court courtroom is located on thr third story.The building is connected to the County Courthouse Annex on the north side. The building was remodeled in 1914. The contractor was Hix McCanless. The building is being restored in 2013 to 2014. The architect is Sinclair & Wright Architects of Tyler and the contractor is J E Kingham Construction Company. On the west side is the Old Sheriff Residence.

 

Note:  The first courthouse was built in Old Franklin in 1857. The second courthouse was built in Wheelock in 1850. The third courthouse was built in Owensville in 1856. The fourth courthouse was built in Calvert in 1870. In 1879 the County seat was moved to Morgan ( Franklin ) and the fifth and present courthouse was constructed.

 

County Courthouse Annex – Franklin

 

0388t14

 

Location:  102 East Decherd Street / Center Street

Built:  2009 – 2011

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Sinclair & Wright Architects of Tyler

Contractor:  RPR Construction of Tyler

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a three story yellow colored stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The north front has a small portico on the first story. The center section projects from the main building. The east and west corner towers also project. The roof line is flat. The building is connected to the courthouse on the south side. The District Court courtroom is located on the third story.

 

Old County Jail – Calvert

 

0361t14

 

Location:  604 Elm Street / Burnett Street

Built:  1875 – 1876

Style:  Romanesque

Architect:  W P Ingraham of St. Louis, Missouri

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces southwest and is a red colored brick castle-like structure. The building id located on landscaped grounds in the center of the town.  The first story housed the male inmates and the second floor housed the female inmates. The section on the north side was the female insane asylum. The building is now the Hammond House Bed & Breakfast.

Courthouses: 

N – Falls County and Limestone County

E – Leon County 

S – Brazos County

W – Milam County

 

 

 

0374t14

County Courthouse

 

 

0375t14

 

 

0376t14

 

 

0377t14

 

 

0378t14

 

 

3014t19  

 

 

3022t19

 

 

3015t19

 

 

3016t19

 

 

3017t19

 

 

3018t19

 

 

3019t19

 

 

3020t19

 

 

3021t19

 

 

3034t19

 

 

 

3033t19

 

 

0382t14

 

 

0385t14

County Courthouse Annex

 

 

0386t14

 

 

0387t14

 

 

0389t14

 

 

0390t14

 

 

3025t19

 

 

3026t19

 

 

3027t19

 

 

3028t19

 

 

3029t19

 

 

3031t19

 

 

3032t19

 

 

0391t14

 

 

3037t19

Old Sheriff Residence

 

 

3039t19

 

 

0360t14

Old County Jail – Calvert

 

 

0362t14

 

 

0366t14

 

 

0364t14

Photos taken 2014 and 2019