Milam County is named for Benjamin Rush Milam, who was an early Texas colonizer and soldier in the Texas Revolution.
Created: March 17, 1836
Nashville 1836 – 1846
Cameron 1846 – present
County Courthouse – Cameron
Location: 102 South Fannin Avenue / East 1st Street
Built: 1891 – 1892
Style: Renaissance Revival
Architect: A O Watson of Larmour & Watson
Contractor: Lee & Plommer
Description: The building faces south and is a three story native limestone structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The south and north fronts have one story porticoes supported by four columns with balcony above. Behind rise the center sections with a pediment rising above the roof line. On the center of the roof is a large square dome with the statue of Justice at the top. The large District Court courtroom is located on the south side of the second story and the County Court courtroom is located on the first story. The building was renovated in 1938. The building was restored in 2005. The architect was Lord Aeck Sargent. On the southeast side is the Old County Jail and on the east is the County Tax Office.
Note: Courthouse statues in most of the South faced towards the south. Those statues that had faced north prior to the Civil War were turned to face south. The original statue on the Milam courthouse faced south.
Note: The first courthouse wad a wood structure built in Nashville in 1841. The second courthouse was built by Jacob Gross and Wiley Jones in Cameron in 1847. The third courthouse was built in 1857 and burned in 1874. The fourth courthouse was designed by Lamour & Klerks and constructed by Arnold & Jackson in 1876. The fifth and present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $75,000.
E – Robertson County
Old County Jail
County Tax Office
Photos taken 2009, 2014 and 2019