Falls County is named for the waterfalls on the Brazos River.
Created: January 28, 1850
Marlin 1850 – present
County Courthouse – Marlin
Location: 125 Bridge Street / Craik Street
Built: 1938 – 1939
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Arthur E Thomas of Dallas
Contractor: Hill & Combs of San Antonio.
Description: The building faces south and is a three story white colored Austin shellstone brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The south front has a three story entrance tower rising above the roof line with entrance on the first story. A horizontal belt runs above the basement level. The building contain pink colored Texas granite. The roof line is flat. The courtroom is located on the west side of the second story. The building was a Public Works Administration project.
Note: The first courthouse was a log cabin built in Marlin in 1851. The second courthouse was built in 1855. The third courthouse was a Greek Revival two story brick structure built in 1878. The fourth courthouse was a Second Empire style structure designed by Eugene Thomas Hiener and constructed by A Baumbach in 1888. The fifth and present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $223,215.
N – McLennan County
E – Limestone County
W – Bell County
Photos taken 2014 and 2019