Limestone County is named for the limestone deposit in the area.
Created: April 11, 1846
Springfield 1847 – 1873
Groesbeck 1873 – present
County Courthouse – Groesbeck
Location: 200 West State Street / Ellis Street
Built: 1923 – 1924
Style: Classical Revival and Beaux Arts
Architect: R H Stuckey of Midwest Engineering Company of Amarillo
Contractor: William M Rice of Amarillo
Description: The building faces northeast and is a two story brick, concrete, tile and marble structure. The building is located on landscape grounds in the center of the city.. The east and west ends project from the main building. The recessed center section has vertical classical columns between the windows and the three arched entrances. At the top of the second story is a wide header with small windows above on the third story. The building has a variety of ornamentation. The roof line is flat. The courtroom is located on the second story.
See: The contractor, William M Rice of Amarillo, also constructed courthouses as W M Rice Construction Company in Bailey County, Briscoe County, Cochran County, Freestone County, Lipscomb County, Oldham County, Parmer County and Wood County and designed the courthouse in Lynn County..
Note: The first courthouse was built in Springfield in 1847. The second courthouse was built in Springfield in 1856 and burned in 1873. Wjen the county sear was moved to Groesbeck, the third courthouse was a brick structure designed by W C Dodson in 1878 at a cost of $23,000. The fourth courthouse was designed by Albert Ullrich and constructed by R H Stuckey in 1892 at a cost of $58,700. The sixth and present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $300,000.
E – Freestone County
Cornerstone 1892 Courthouse
Photos taken 2014 and 2019