Brazos County is named for the Brazos River, which was called by the Spanish as “Rio de los Brazos de Dios” meaning “the river of the arms of God”.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Robertson County
W – Burleson County
Created: January 30, 1841
Booneville 1841 – 1866
Bryan 1866 – present
County Courthouse – Bryan
Location: 300 East 26th Street / North Texas Avenue
Built: 1954 – 1955
Architect: Caudill, Rowlett & Scott
Contractor: A P Kasch & Sons
Description: The building faces south and is a three story brick, steel and marble structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Bryan. The south front has a projecting glass one story entrance. The first story has pillars with recessed glass walls. On the north side of the building, the wall is a blue colored glass. The roof line is flat. In the interior, the main courtroom is located on the east side of the second story. The building houses the State District Court, Constitutional County Court, County Court at Law and Justice Court. The building was renovated in 1982 to 1986. The architect was Jack Cumpton Architect and the contractor was Utley James of Texas. The building was renovated from 2009 to 2018. The architect was Patterson Architects and the contractor was Madison Construction, LP.
History: The county was created in 1841 as Navasota County and Booneville was selected as the county seat. The first court met at the cabin of Joseph Ferguson, near the Navasota River. The county name was changed to Brazos County in 1842. The first courthouse was built in Booneville in 1843. The second courthouse was built in 1846 and the third courthouse was built in 1853. The county seat was moved to Bryan in 1866. The fourth courthouse was built in 1871. The fifth courthouse was designed by Eugene Thomas Heiner and constructed by L M Brown in 1892 to 1893 at a cost of $65,000. The sixth and present courthouse was constructed in 1954 to 1955 at a cost of $800,000.
County Administration Building – Bryan
Location: 200 South Texas Avenue / East 27th Street
Built: 2006 – 2008
Architect: Patterson Architects
Contractor: Madison Construction, LP
Description: The building faces west and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Bryan to the south of the courthouse. The building is “L” shaped with a large east section and a south section. The north section of the west front has three large arches at the entrance. The windows are narrow and vertical. The roof is mansard.
County Courthouse – Bryan
Bell from 1892 County Courthouse
Picture 1892 County Courthouse
Cornerstone 1892 County Courthouse
County Administration Building – Byran
Photos taken 2014 and 2019