Callahan County is named for James Hughes Callahan, who was a soldier during the Texas Revolution.
Created: July 3, 1877
Callahan City 1877
Belle Plain 1877 – 1883
Baird 1883 – present
County Courthouse – Baird
Location: 100 West 4th Street / Market Street
Built: 1928 – 1929
Style: Texas Renaissance
Architect: Voelcker and Dixon, Inc. of Wichita Falls
Contractor: Suggs and Dunlap Contractors.
Description: The building faces south and is a three story rectangular buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious grounds in the center of the city. The south front has stone trim around the entrance located in the building center. On the second and third stories are double windows. A wide white colored stone band runs horizontally along the top of the third story windows. The roof line is flat. On the northeast side is the old red colored brick jail and to the northwest side is the old stone County Jail.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1877 in Belle Plain. The second courthouse was designed by F E Ruffini in Baird in 1883. The third courthouse was designed by J Riley Gordon and J E Flanders and constructed by Sonnefield & Emmins in 1900.
E – Eastland County
W – Taylor County
Old Sheriff Residence
Old County Jail
Photos taken 2006 and 2014