Brown County is named for Henry Stevenson Brown, who was a commander at the Battle of Velasco.
Created: August 27, 1856
Brownwwood 1856 – present
County Courthouse – Brownwood
Location: 200 South Broadway / North Center Avenue
Built: 1916 – 1917
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Henry Truman Phelps of San Antonio
Contractor: Hood & Staggs
Description: The building faces south and is a three story dark red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is locared on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The south and north sides of the rectangular shaped building have projecting porticoes with three arches on the first story and columns rising from the second story to the top of the third story. A thin horizontal belt runs between the first and second stories. A cornice runs along the flat roof line. The building is a remodel of the 1884 courthouse designed by Dodson & Dudley and constructed by Thomas Lovell. To the northwest is the old County Jail constructed in 1903.
See: The architect Henry Truman Phelps of San Antonio, Texas
Note: The first courthouse was a log cabin built in 1858. The second courthouse was built in 1876. The third courthouse was designed by Dodson & Dudley and constructed by Thomas Lowell in 1884 and burned in 1894. The fourth and present courthouse incorporated interior walls and vaults from the 1884 courthouse.
N – Eastland County
E – Comanche County
W – Coleman County
Old County Jail
Photos taken 2014