Taylor County is named for Edward Taylor, George Taylor and James Taylor, three brothers who died at the Battle of Alamo.
Created: February 1, 1858
Buffalo Gap 1878 – 1883
Abilene 1883 – present
County Courthouse – Abilene
Location: 300 Oak Street / South 3rd Street
Built: 1970 – 1972
Architect: Tittle, Luther, Loving & Lee
Contractor: Rose & Sons Inc.
Description: The building faces north and is a four story pink colored granite and concrete Modern style structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The building has a narrow pillars rising to the fourth story and forming an overhang with the interior glass walls being recessed. The fourth story is faced with pink colored granite and has few windows. The roof line is flat. .
Old County Courthouse – Abilene
Location: 301 Oak Street / South 4th Street
Built: 1914 – 1915
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: George L Burnett
Contractor: A Z Roger
Description: The building faces west and is a third story rectangular brick style structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city to the east of the courthouse. The building has the entrance in the center of the first story. The first story is dark red colored brick and upper stories are white colored brick with red colored brick trim.
Note: The first courthouse was designed by Marti, Byrnes & Johnston and built in Buffalo Gap in 1880. The second courthouse was designed by Jasper N Preston & Son of Austin and built in 1883 in Abilene.
N – Jones County
E – Callahan County
W – Nolan County
Old County Courthouse
Buffalo Gapp – site of courthouse
Buffalo Gap – Old County Jail
Photos taken 2006 and 2014