Tom Green County

US States / O-U / Texas / Tom Green County
600Texas06

Tom Green County is named for Tom Green, who was a Confederate brigadier general in the Civil War.

 

Created:  March 13, 1874

County Seat: 

Ben Ficklin    1874 – 1884

San Angelo   1884 – present

 

County Courthouse – San Angelo

 

Location:  112 West Beauregard Avenue / South Irving Street

Built:  1927 – 1928

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  Anton F Korn

Contractor:  F O B Montgomery

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a three story dark buff colored brick and limestone structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on spacious grounds in the center of the city. On the south and north sides, the building has large Doric columns dividing the windows. The symmetrical façade is temple-like. A wide stone header runs below the roof line. The entrance has three doorways in the center section. There are original pressed metal ceilings in the courtrooms located on the south side of the second story. The roof line is flat. The building was renovated in 1983. The architect was Donald R Goss and the contractor was John D Buck Construction Company.

 

Note:  The first courthouse was built in Ficklin in 1876. The second courthouse was a two story stone structure built in Ficklin in 1882. When the county seat was moved to San Angelo, the third courthouse was designed by W W Larmour and constructed by John C Lillis in 1885. Plans for the courthouse were originally submitted by contractor J H Walker and when Larmour learned that Walker was using his plans, he sued the contractor, but by that time, the county had fired Walker and replaced him with John C Lillis. The construction superintendent was Oscar Ruffini.

 

County Justice Center – San Angelo

 

2103t14

 

Location:  122 West Harris Avenue / North Irving Street

Built:  2000 – 2002

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Chakos Zentner Marcum Architects of San Angelo and Burns Fletcher Gill Architects of Fort Worth

Contractor:  Templeton Construction Company of San Angelo

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story cream colored concrete structure. The building is located in the center of the city on the north side of the courthouse. The south front has a central entrance with two high double columns and two short double columns with recessed glass walls. On the east side of the front is a large pillar with recessed section. The roof line is flat. The building has two courtrooms.

 

County Administration – San Angelo

 

2090t14

 

Location:  113 West Beauregard Avenue / South Irving Street

Built:  1980 – 1981

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Donald R Goss

Contractor:  Templeton Construction Company of San Angelo

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a three story cream colored concrete structure. The north front has an overhang with recessed first story and central entrance. The roof line is flat and was originally a Sears store.. The building is named as the Judge Edd B Keyes Building.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Coke County and Runnels County

E – Runnels County and Concho County

S – Scheicher County

W – Irion County and Sterling County 

 

 

 

2076t14

County Courthouse

 

 

2077t14

 

 

2078t14

 

 

2079t14

 

 

2081t14

 

 

2082t14

 

 

2086t14

 

 

2003t19

 

 

2004t19

 

 

2005t19

 

 

2006t19

 

 

2007t19

 

 

2008t19

 

 

x_13

 

 

2010t19

 

 

2011t19

 

 

2012t19

 

 

2020t19

 

 

2014t19

 

 

2023t19

 

 

2089t14

 

 

2088t14

 

 

2102t14

County Justice Center

 

 

2104t14

 

 

2105t14

 

 

2106t14

 

 

2091t14

County Administration

 

 

2092t14

 

 

2032t19

 

 

2095t14

 

 

2096t14

 

 

2075t14

Photos taken 2006, 2014 and 2019