Archer County is named for Branch Tanner Archer, who was a commissioner for the Republic of Texas.
Created: January 22, 1858
Archer City 1858 – present
County Courthouse – Archer City
Location: 100 South Center Street / East Main Street
Built: 1890 – 1891
Style: Romanesque Revival
Architect: Alonzo N Dawson of Fort Worth
Contractor: J S DeWees and Jacob Rath
Description: The building faces west and is a three story brown colored sandstone structure. The building is located on spacious grounds in the center of the city. The west front has three large central arches with a recessed entrance. The first story windows are arched. The center second and third stories is recessed and rises to a peak at the roof line. The roof is hipped. In 1926, the building was remodeled and the clock tower removed. The architect was Elmer G Withers of Fort Worth. The building was restored in 2004. The architect was Harper Perkins Architects Inc. of Wichita Falls and the contractor was Joe R Jones Construction Inc. of Weatherford.
Note: The first courthouse was a wood structure built in 1880 and was destroyed by fire in 1890. The second and present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $32,500.
County Courthouse Annex – Archer City
Location: 112 East Walnut Street / Sycamore Street
Built: 2000 – 2002
Architect: Harper Perkins Architects Inc. of Wichita Falls
Contractor: Arthur Construction Inc. of Wichita Falls
Description: The building faces north and is a one story gray colored concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of the city on the south side of the courthouse. The north front has a recessed center section with large arch and recessed entrance. The center section rises to a wide peak at the roof line. The windows are arched and the roof is hipped.
N – Wichita County
S – Young County
W – Baylor County
County Courthouse Annex
Photos taken 2014