Clay County is named for Henry Clay, who was Secretary of State of the United States, a Kentucky statesman and a presidential candidate.
Created: December 24, 1857
Cambridge 1873 – 1882
Henrietta 1882 – present
County Courthouse – Henrietta
Location: 100 North Bridge Street / East Gilbert Street
Built: 1883 – 1884
Architect: W H Wilson & Toze
Contractor: Strain, Risley & Swinburn
Description: The building faces west and is a three story brown-red colored brick and sandstone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The building is designed in the form of a Greek cross. The wide wings extend east and west and the narrow wings extend north and south. Stone trim is along the corners with sandstone columns resting on tall pedestals. In the center of the building is a large red colored roof dome. In 1891, an addition of a fireproof record room was constructed. The building was remodeled in 1911 when the dome replaced the original clock tower. Gabled roofs were also added to each wing.
Note: In 1873, the county was reorganized with Cambridge as the county seat. In 1882, the county seat moved to Henrietta and the first courthouse was constructed in 1884.
E – Montague County
S – Jack County
Photos taken 2006 and 2014