Wichita County is named for the Wichita Native American tribe who resided in the region.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
E – Clay County
S – Archer County
W – Wilbarger County
Created: February 1, 1858
Wichita Falls 1883 – present
County Courthouse – Wichita Falls
Location: 900 7th Street / Travis Street
Built: 1916 – 1917
Architect: Fields & Clarkson and C J Pate of Wicjita Falls and Saquinet & Staats of Forth Worth
Contractor: Lisle-Dunning Company of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Description: The building faces southeast and is a four story stone, glass and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The old stone building has been remodeled with a blue colored glass front with vertical dividers. The first story shows the original stone facing. The north and south ends are stone faced with no windows. The east entrance is recessed with glass doors. The roof line is flat. The building was remodeled in 1960 to 1961, changing the appearance of the building. The architect was Pond & Bellamy and the contractor was R G Farrell Company. An addition was added in 1957 on the northwest side. The architect was Jessie G Dixon and the contractor was C L Murph Construction Company.
Note: Previous courthouses were built in 1883 and 1886.
County Courthouse - Wichita Falls
Photos taken 2006 and 2014