Young County is named for William Cocke Young, who was an early Texas settler, attorney, sheriff and United States Marshall.
Created: February 2, 1856
Graham 1856 – present
County Courthouse – Graham
Location: 512 4th Street / Oak Street
Built: 1931 – 1932
Architect: Withers & Thompson
Contractor: James L Taylor
Description: The building faces north and is a three story limestone and concrete structure. The building is located on the landscaped grounds of Courthouse Square in the center of the city. The north and south sides have three arches and recessed entrances on the first story. The second and third stories are recessed and the east and west wings are lower in height. The building features many designs on the exterior. The roof line is flat.
See: The architect, Withers & Thompson, also designed the courthouse in Menard County. The construction materials are different in both courthouses, but the internal and external design is very similar.
Note: The first courthouse was a two story frame structure built in 1876. The second courthouse a two story sandstone structure was built by N J Rosenquist in 1884. The archway of the 1884 courthouse remains and is native sandstone quarried east of Graham by Irish workers. The third and present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $314,000.
N – Archer County
E – Jack County
Archway 1884 Courthouse
Photos taken 2014