Perry County

US States / O-U / Tennessee / Perry County
Perry

Perry County is named for Oliver Hazard Perry, who was a United States Naval officer.

 

Created:  November 14, 1818

County Seat:  

Harrisburg   1819 – 1821

Linden         1821 – present

 

County Courthouse – Linden  

 

Location:  121 East Main Street / North Poplar Street

Built:  1927 – 1928

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  C K Colley

Contractor:  Bell Brothers & Company

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a three story red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The south entrance is framed with stone. There is stone trim along the corners and in vertical bands. A stone belt runs above the first story and a cornice runs below the roof line. At the roof is a large crest.

 

Note:  The first courthouse was a log cabin built in Linden in 1845. The second courthouse was a two story wood frame structure built in 1849 to 1850. The building was burned on May 12, 1863 during the Civil War. The third courthouse was a two story brick structure built in 1868 at a cost of $9500. The building burned in 1927 during expansion work and was replaced by the fourth and present courthouse.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Humphreys County

E – Hickman County and Lewis County

S – Wayne County

W – Decatur County

 

 

 

0385t12

County Courthouse

 

 

0387t12

 

 

0388t12

 

 

x2

 

 

0389t12

 

 

0390t12

 

 

0391t12

Photos taken 2012