Stephens County is named for John H Stephens, who was a Texas congressman and an advocate for Oklahoma statehood.
Created: July 16, 1907
Duncan 1907 – present
County Courthouse – Duncan
Location: 101 South 11th Street / West Willow Street
Built: 1967 – 1968
Architect: Jones- Halley and Associates
Contractor: J J Bollinger Construction Inc.
Description: The building faces east and is a one story buff colored brick structure. The central entrance is recessed dark glass panels with white pillars supporting the overhang below the roof line. The windows are vertical and narrow. There is polished stone facing on the recessed lower level.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Jewell Hicks and constructed by Manhattan Construction Company in 1921. The courthouse was replaced by the present courthouse.
South – Jefferson County
Photos taken 2006 and 2010