Morrow County is named for Jeremiah Morrow, who was Governor of Ohio from 1822 to 1826.
Created: March 1, 1848
Mount Gilead 1848 – present
County Courthouse – Mount Gilead
Location: 48 East High Street / Walnut Street
Built: 1852 – 1854
Architect: David Auld
Contractor: Auld & Miller
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The building has a stone foundation and the roof is slate. The south front has a high square red colored brick tower with arched entrance on the first story, two windows on the second story, portal on the third story, four small openings and bell on the fourth story with clock and flat dome above. In 1896, the building was expanded. The architect was Williams & Andrews. Additions were built in 1930 and 1939. On the east side is the two story red brick and stone jail constructed in 1849 to 1850.
Note: The first court met in the Baptist Church.
Photos taken 2015