Mineral County is named for the mineral deposits found in the region.
Created: February 10, 1911
Hawthorne 1911 – present
County Courthouse – Hawthorne
Location: 105 South A Street / West 1st Street
Built: 1969 – 1970
Architect: Lockard and Casazza of Reno
Contractor: A S Johnson Construction Company of Sparks
Description: The building faces east and is a one story brown colored brick and concrete structure. The east front has a porch at the south end supported by brick pillars. The glass entrance is recessed. The windows are vertical and narrow. The roof line is flat. On the north side of the building is the Sherriff’s Office which was constructed from 1972 to 1973 as part of the total building. The architect was Casazza, Peetz & Associates and the contractor was Pagni Brothers Construction.
Old County Courthouse – Hawthorne
Location: 551 C Street / 6th Street
Built: 1883 – 1884
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: A C Glenn / D R Munro
Contractor: George W Babcock
Description: The building faces east and is a two story white colored brick and wood structure. The east front has a semi-circular porch supported by four narrow columns with a balcony on the second story. The east front rises to a wide pediment at the roof line. The south side has a two story wing. The building stands abandoned.
Note: The building served as Esmeralda County’s second courthouse from 1883 to 1907, and later as the first Mineral County Courthouse from 1911 to 1974, and is the only courthouse in Nevada to serve two counties. The construction contract was awarded at $29,125 and the building was completed at a cost of $33,967 by D R Munro who was appointed as supervising architect. George A Babcock was sued for illegal claims paid to him during construction.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Old Mineral County Courthouse.
S – Mono County, California
Photos taken 2013