Churchill County

US States / N / Nevada / Churchill County
0397C13

Churchill County is named for Sylvester Churchill, who was a Mexican-American War hero and an Inspector General of the United States Army.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Pershing County

E – Lander County

S – Nye County and Mineral County

W – Lyon County and Washoe County

 

Created:  November 25, 1861                                                    Map of Nevada highlighting Churchill County

County Seat: 

Bucklands  1861 1864

La Plata      1864 – 1868

Stillwater    1868 – 1903

Fallon         1903 – present

 

County Courthouse – Fallon

 

Location:  10 West Williams Avenue / North Maine Street

Built:  1903 – 1904

Style:  Neo-Classical

Architect:  Ben Lon of Reno

Contractor:  W B Wyrick

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story white color painted wood structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Fallon. Built on a masonry foundation, the wooden building exhibits four tall Ionic columns with a second-story balcony overlooking the front entrance on the south side. On the center of the hipped roof is a square wood cupola with hipped roof. The interior contains a central hall among rows of offices, and a courtroom on the upper floor. An addition was added on the north side in 1974 which maintains the same style. On the west side of the building is the old stone jail.

 

Note:  The building is the only wooden courthouse in Nevada and was constructed at a cost of $7,300.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Churchill County Courthouse.

 

County Administration – Fallon

 

0416c13

 

Location:  155 North Taylor Street / A Street

Built:  1998 – 1999

Style:  Modern

Architect:  AreForm Group

Contractor:  E-Z Construction

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a one story structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Fallon to the north of the courthouse. The south end has two projecting sections which contain the Commissioner Chamber, and the north end has a long section with a west wing. The green colored roof is hipped.

 

History:  The first county seat was Bucklands. In 1864, the county seat was moved to La Plata and the first courthouse was erected. The walls of the old courthouse are still standing. In 1868, the county seat was moved to Stillwater and the second courthouse was erected. When the county seat moved to Fallon in 1903, the third and present courthouse was constructed.

 

 

0398c13

County Courthouse – Fallon

 

 

0399c13

 

 

0400c13

 

 

0401c13

 

 

0395c13

 

 

0393c13

 

 

0405c13

 

 

0394c13

 

 

0406c13

 

 

0407c13

 

 

0413c13

County Administration – Fallon

 

 

0419c13

 

 

0422c13

 

 

0423c13

Photos taken 2013