Nye County

US States / N / Nevada / Nye County
2327C13

Nye County is named for James Warren Nye, who was a governor of the Nevada Territory and the first senator from Nevada.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Mineral CountyChurchill CountyLander CountyEureka County and White Pine County

E – White Pine County, Lincoln County and Clark County

S – Inyo County, California

W – Inyo County, California, Esmeralda County and Mineral County

 

Created:  February 16, 1864                                                      Map of Nevada highlighting Nye County

County Seat: 

Ione         1864 – 1867

Belmont   1867 – 1905

Tonopah  1905 – present

 

County Courthouse – Tonopah

 

Location:  101 Radar Road / Globe Mallow Lane

Built:  1995 – 1996

Style:  Modern

Architect:  HCA Architects of Las Vegas

Contractor:  Intermountain Construction, Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a one story buff and red colored sandstone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds on the north side of Tonopah. The west front has three sections which extend from the main building with the center section extending the furthest. The main entrance is located between the center section on the south section and the entrance has a high glass panel frame. There is on entrance on the north side of the center section with similar high glass panel frame. A wing extends south and a wing extends east on the south side at the rear of the building. The roof is hipped. The building is nasmes as the William P Beko Justice Complex.

 

Note:  The courtroom has elk heads along the walls.

 

Old County Courthouse – Tonopah

 

2342c13

 

Location:  Courthouse Road / McCullough Avenue

Built:  1906 – 1907

Style:  Romanesque

Architect:  J C Robertson

Contractor:  Continental Construction Company.

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story ashlar and concrete structure. The building sits on a low hill on the south side of Tonopah overlooking the town. The west front has a central entrance with a projecting steel and glass porch. The rear of the building has a south wing with a one story addition along the south side of the building. The north side, also has a one story addition, The windows are arched. On the center of the roof is a silver dome. The roof is hipped. The supervisor was E E Burdock. The main building has been vacated with the exception of the more modern additions.

 

Old County Courthouse – Belmont

 

Location:  Cedar Street / Leon Street

Built:  1876 – 1877

Style:  Italianate

Architect:  J K Winchell

Contractor:  J T Benham

 

Description:  The building faces northeast and is a two story red brick structure. The building is located on spacious grounds in the center of Belmont. The windows are trimmed with stone. In the hipped roof is a square white colored dome.

 

See:  The 5th Judicial District includes Esmeralda County.

 

History:  The county seat was moved from Ione to Belmont in 1867. In 1875, the first courthouse was designed by J K Winchell and constructed by J T Benham at a cost of $22,000 and is still standing. The county seat was moved to Tonopah in 1905. The second courthouse was constructed in 1906 to 1907 at a cost of $28,000 and is still standing. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1995 to 1996.

 

 

2315c13

County Courthouse – Tonopah

 

 

2323c13

 

 

2317c13

 

 

2318c13

 

 

2328c13

 

 

2330c13

 

 

2331c13

 

 

2332c13

 

 

2333c13

 

 

2335c13

 

 

2348c13

Old County Courthouse – Tonopah

 

 

2350c13

 

 

2346c13

 

 

2347c13

 

 

2344c13

 

 

2353c14

Photos taken 2013