St. Joseph County

US States / M / Michigan / St. Joseph County
St. Joseph

St. Joseph County is named for Saint Joseph, who is the patron saint of New France.

 

Created:  October 29, 1829

County Seat:

White Pigeon       1829 – 1830

Lockport Village   1830 – 1831

Centreville            1831 – present

 

County Courthouse – Centreville

 

Location:  125 Main Street / South Clark Street

Built:  1974 – 1975

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Kammeraad Stroop Van Der Leek, Inc.

Contractor:  Johnson-Klein Inc. and Claude M Wade

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story reddish colored brick structure. The old courthouse is located on the north side. Rounded vertical pillars run along the side of the building. On the south a central rounded tower has a portico on the east and west supported by square pillars. The windows are narrow and horizontal.

 

Old County Courthouse – Centreville

 

0850mc08

 

Location:  125 Main Street / South Clark Street

Built:  1899 – 1900

Style:  Romanesque Revival

Architect:  Sydney J Osgood of Grand Rapids

Contractor:  Crookshank and Somers

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick and sandstone structure. The central tower rises seventy five feet with a large clock. The base of the building is course stone. The building has marble floors, wide staircases, ornately carved woodwork and frosted glass doors. The building was renovated in 1995 to 1997. The architect was  Wigen, Tinckell, Meyer & Associates, Inc. of Saginaw and the contractor was Clark Construction Company of Lansing.

 

Note:  The previous courthouse was designed by John Bryan and constructed in 1842.

 

See:  Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky

 

Courthouses: 

N – Kalamazoo County

E  – Branch County

S – LaGrange County, Indiana and Elkhart County, Indiana

W – Cass County

 

 

 

x_2

 

 

0855mc08

 

 

0849mc08

 

 

0851mc08

 

 

0852mc08

 

 

0853mc08

 

 

0856mc08

Photos taken 2008