Cass County is named for Lewis Cass, who was a territorial governor and Secretary of War.
Created: October 29, 1829
Cassopolis 1831 – present
County Courthouse – Cassopolis
Location: 120 North Broadway / East State Street
Built: 1898 – 1899
Style: Romanesque Revival
Architect: Rush, Bowman & Rush
Contractor: James Rowson and A W Mohnke
Description: The building faces west and is a two story wood frame with limestone veneer structure. The west front has a large arch at the central entrance with three narrow vertical windows on the second story. The north and south section project from the main building. On the center of the roof is a high square clock tower with steep red colored peaked roof. A wing was added on the north side in 1976.
County Law and Courts Building – Cassopolis
Location: 60296 Highway 62 / Don Home Park Road
Built: 2002 – 2003
Architect: Troyer Group
Contractor: Miller-Davis Company
Description: The building faces north and is a one story structure.
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
N – Van Buren County
W – Berrien County
Photos taken 2008