Kalamazoo County is named for the Indian word “kikalamazoo” meaning “the mirage” or “reflecting river”, or meaning “the boiling pot”.
Created: October 29, 1829
Kalamazoo 1830 – present
County Courthouse – Kalamazoo
Location: 227 West Michigan Avenue / Hubbard Street
Built: 1936 – 1937
Style: Art Deco
Architect: M J C Billingham of Kalamazoo and Smith, Hickman & Grylis
Contractor: O F Miller
Description: The building faces north and is a six story buff colored Mankato limestone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The windows on the first three stories are vertical and divided by stone sections. The windows on the fourth story are small. The base of the building is dark granite. The roof line is flat. The building was a Public Works Administration project.
Note: The first courthouse was built by E R Ball in 1836 for cost of $6,000. The previous courthouse was designed by Edward O Fallis of Toledo, Ohio and constructed in 1887.
County Administration – Kalamazoo
Location: 201 West Kalamazoo Avenue / Rose Street
Built: 1976 – 1978
Architect: Cain Associate
Contractor: Whitaker Construction Company
Description: The building faces north and is a four story concrete structure.
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
E – Calhoun County
W – Van Buren County
Photos taken 2008 and 2015