Branch County is named for John Branch, who was Secretary of the Navy under President Andrew Jackson.
Created: October 29, 1829
Masonville 1829 – 1831
Branch 1831 – 1842
Coldwater 1842 – present
County Courthouse – Coldwater
Location: 31 Division Street / East Pearl Street
Built: 1974 – 1976
Architect: Haughey, Black and Associates of Battle Creek
Contractor: Wagner-Flook Builders of Grand Rapids Creek
Description: The building faces west and is a two story stone, concrete and glass structure. The central entrance is framed with gray colored stone and rises above the roof line. The windows are narrow and vertical. The roof line is flat. The architect for recent renovations was Schley Architects of Kalamazoo.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Marcellus H Parker of Coldwater and constructed by Crocker & Hudnutt of Big Rapids in 1887 at a cost of $52,098.99. The building was destroyed by arson on December 5, 1972. The bell manufactured by C H Meneely Company of Troy, New York was saved and a red colored brick tower now houses the bell and clock. The present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $1,500,000.
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
N – Calhoun County
E – Hillsdale County
Photos taken 2008