Eaton County

US States / M / Michigan / Eaton County
Eaton

Eaton County is named for John H. Eaton, who was a United States Secretary of War.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Ionia County and Clinton County

E – Ingham County

S – Jackson County and Calhoun County

W – Barry County

 

Created:  October 29, 1829                    Map of Michigan highlighting Eaton County

County Seat:

Belleview  1833 – 1840

Charlotte   1840 – present

 

County Courthouse – Charlotte

 

Location:  1045 Independence Boulevard / Court House Drive

Built:  1975 – 1976

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Robert Cain and Associates of Kalamazoo

Contractor:  TerHorst & Rinzema Construction Company of Grand Rapids

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story reddish colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds to the north of  the center of Charlotte. has a high brick clock tower in front of the entrance. The south wing is two stories and has white colored concrete facing on the second story. The center entrance is one story with a round brick north wing.

 

Old County Courthouse – Charlotte

 

0909mc08

 

Location:  100 West Lawrence Avenue / Cochran Street

Built:  1883 – 1885

Style:  Renaissance Revival

Architect:  David W Gibbs of Gibbs and Company of Toledo, Ohio

Contractor:  Miles, Cramer & Horn of Toledo

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and Bera sandstone  structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds of the Courthouse Square in the center of Charlotte. The basement is rough cut fieldstone. On the center of the roof is a white colored square cupola with clock and Statue of Justice at the top. The building was renovated in 1952.

 

See:  The courthouse is similar to the courthouse in Fayette County and Marion County, in Ohio all designed by David W Gibbs.

 

Old County Courthouse – Charlotte

 

0929mc08

 

Location:  South Cochran Avenue / Bennett Park

Built:  1845 – 1846

Style:  Greek Revival

Architect:  S E Millett and Lewis Scour.

Contractor:  S E Millett and Lewis Scour.

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a one story white colored wood structure. The building is located in Bennert Park in the center of Charlotte.

 

History:  The first courthouse was erected in Belleview shortly after 1833. The county seat was moved to Charlotte in 1840 and the second courthouse was built in 1845 to 1846, which is still standing. The third courthouse was built in 1883 to 1885 and is still standing. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1975 to 1976.

 

See:  Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky

 

 

0920mc08

County Courthouse – Charlotte

 

 

0921mc08

 

 

0923mc08

 

 

0924mc08

 

 

0925mc08

 

 

0907mc08

Old County Courthouse – Charlotte

 

 

0908mc08

 

 

0910mc08

 

 

0911mc08

 

 

0912mc08

 

 

0913mc08

 

 

0927mc08

Old County Courthouse 1845 – Charlotte

 

 

0928mc08

 

 

0926mc08

 

 

0914mc08

Photos taken 2008