Lafayette Parish is named for Marie Joseph Paul Lafayette, who was a French general who fought in the American Revolutionary War and who lived from 1757 to 1834.
Created: January 17, 1852
Lafayette 1852 – present
Parish Courthouse – Lafayette
Location: 800 South Buchanan Street / West Main Street
Built: 1964 – 1965
Architect: Don O’Rourke, Gerald M Gossen and Jason T Benoit Associates
Contractor: Horace B Rickey, Inc.
Description: The building faces east and is a seven story concrete and glass structure. The building has projecting vertical sections with long vertical windows. There are narrow vertical dividers on the third story to sixth story. The entrance is located on the second story with a recessed area. The roof line is flat.
Note: The first courthouse was constructed by Benjamin F Templeton in 1860. The previous courthouse was designed by William T Nolan and constructed by General Construction Company in 1928.
S – Vermilion Parish
W – Acadia Parish
Photos taken 2011 and 2017