Saint Landry Parish is named for Saint Landry of Sees, who was a French saint and bishop.
Created: March 31, 1807
Opelousas 1807 – present
Parish Courthouse – Opelousas
Location: 118 South Court Street / West Landry Street
Built: 1939 – 1940
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Theodore L Perrier
Contractor: A J Rife Construction Company
Description: The building faces east and is a three story gray colored stone structure. The building is located on lanscaped grounds. The east front has a central section which projects from the main building and rises above the roof line. There is a large window on the second story. The roof line is flat. The building was renovated in 2008. The architect was Gaudet and Tolson, Ltd.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1806 and the next courthouses were built in 1850 and 1863. The previous courthouse was designed by Walters & Harrod and constructed by Hannon & Voss in 1886. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $280,000.
Former Third Court of Appeal Courthouse – Opelousas
Location: 162 South Court Street / West Landry Street
Built: 1892 – 1893
Style: Italianate / Romanesque Revival
Architect: Jeremish O’Rourke
Description: The building faces west and is a three story ted colored brick structure. The building was constructed as the Federal Building and Post Office. The first story has segmentally arched windows and the upper story has round arched windows set in groups. The first story entrance has a broad brick arch with terra cotta spandrels. The roof is hipped. In 1932, the building was enlarged. The building housed the office for the Third Court of Appeal but is now vacant as the court is located in Lake Charles.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Old Federal Building – Opelousas
N – Avoyelles Parish
Photos taken 2011 and 2017