Iberia Parish is named for the Iberian Peninsula in Europe on which Spain is located.
Created: October 10, 1868
New Iberia 1868 – present
Parish Courthouse – New Iberia
Location: 100 North State Street / Washington Street
Style: Art Deco
Architect: A Hayes Town
Contractor: Gravier & Harper
Description: The building faces southeast and is a three story white colored concrete structure. The southeast front has a high center section with five narrow vertical windows and wide steps ascending to the first story entrance. The north and south wings are lower and recessed. The roof line is flat. This was a Work Projects Administration project. The supervisor was E M Morgan. The building had an addition constructed in 1967. The architect was Perry Segura & Associates of New Iberia and Herman Gesser Jr. and the contractor was Herpeche Construction Company Inc. of New Iberia. The building was renovated in 1977. The architect was Herman Gesser & Associates and the contractor was Herpeche Construction Company Inc. of New Iberia. The building was altered and an addition added from 1984 to 1986. The architect was Mesfayer, Darby & Partner and the contractor was Commercial Construction Company. On the southwest side of the courthouse is the two story Courthouse Annex.
Note: The large mural in the courtroom was painted by Conrad A Albrizio in 1940. The subject of the mural treats the continued struggle waged by man to free himself from the forces and conditions which restrict his material, physical and moral well-being.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1884 and remodeled in 1922 by Caldwell Brothers.
S – Saint Mary Parish and Gulf of Mexico
Photos taken 2011 and 2017