Saint Martin Parish is named for Saint Martin of Tours, who was French Bishop of Tours.
Created: April 17, 1811
St. Martinville 1811 – present
Parish Courthouse – St. Martinville
Location: 400 South Main Street / Claiborne Street
Built: 1853 – 1859
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: John Moore, Alexandre DeClouer, Valery Martin, Alexander Landry and Charles M Oliver
Contractor: John Moore, Alexandre DeClouer, Valery Martin, Alexander Landry and Charles M Oliver using slave labor
Description: The building faces west and is a two story white colored stucco structure. The building is located on the landscaped grounds of the Courthouse Square in the center of the city. The west front has a large portico supported by four large columns supporting a pediment at the roof line. The roof is hipped. An addition was added on the east side in 1937. The architect was Favrot & Reed of New Orleans and the contractor was Pittman Brothers Construction Company of New Orleans. In 1955, two wings and a three story annex were added. The architect was Goodman & Miller and the contractor was Herman L Bienvenu. A further addition was added in 1966. The architect was Miller Smith Champagne, Inc. and the contractor was Herpeche Construction Company, Inc. In 2011 the building was being renovated. The architect was Maurice Laporte of Angelle Architects and the contractor was M D Descant Incorporated.
Note: The first courthouse was built Neuville Declouer in 1810 to 1813. The second courthouse was built by Thomas John son and John Brown in 1839 to 1840 at a cost of $8,000. The cost of construction of the present courthouse in 1859 was $10,000. The cost of the 1955 additions was $230,273.
See: National Register of Historic Places – St. Martin Parish Courthouse
Parish Courthouse Annex – St. Martinville
Location: 415 St. Martin Street / Claiborne Street
Built: 2008 – 2009
Architect: Glenn Angelle of Angelle Architects
Contractor: Master Builders and Specialists
Description: The building faces west and is a one story white colored stucco structure. The building is located on the east side of the courthouse in the center of the city. The southwest side has a two story section with first story entrance with a column on each side. The roof is hipped.
Parish Administration – St. Martinville
Location: 301 West Port Street / M L King Jr. Drive
Built: 1996 – 1997
Architect: Al J Landry
Contractor: Bullard Construction Company
Description: The building faces north and is a one story structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The north front has a central portico. The roof is hipped. The building is named as the Annex Building.
Parish Courthouse Annex
Photos taken 2011 and 2017