Vermilion Parish is named for the Vermilion River and Vermilion Bay, being inland waterways in the Parish.
Created: March 25, 1844
Abbeville 1844 – present
Parish Courthouse – Abbeville
Location: 100 North State Street / Charity Street
Built: 1950 – 1951
Style: Modern Antebellum
Architect: A Hays Town
Contractor: Romero & Theall.
Description: The building faces west and is a two story white colored brick structure. The west front has a large portico with six high columns supporting a pediment at the roof line. On the center of the roof is a square white colored wood cupola with green colored dome. The building has a hipped roof. In 1985 the building was renovated. The architect was Corne, Sellers & Associates and the contractor was Iberia Building Systems.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by John Hannan and Bulfof and the contractor was C D Stewart & Douglas Southwell in 1891.
Parish Courthouse Annex – Abbeville
Location: SE – State Street / Charity Street
Built: 1988 – 1989
Architect: Corne, Sellers & Associates of Abbeville
Contractor: Rudick Company Inc. of Lafayette.
Description: The building faces west and is a one story white colored concrete structure.
E – Inberia Parish
W – Cameron Parish
Photos taken 2011