Acadia Parish is named for the Acadian people who settled in Louisiana.
Created: June 30, 1886
Crowley 1886 – present
Parish Courthouse – Crowley
Location: 500 Northeast Court Circle / Parkerson Avenue
Built: 1950 – 1951
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Theodor L Perrier
Contractor: R P Farnsworth & Company
Description: The building faces south and is a three story cream colored concrete and glass structure. The south front has steps up to a wide second story platform at the entrance. Large wide vertical windows are along the front. Above the flat roof line is a clock. There are lower east and west wings.
Note: The previous courthouse constructed in 1902 was designed by James Riely Gordon and W L Stevens and the contractor was Tom Lovell.
S – Vermilion Parish
Photos taken 2011