Shawnee County is named for the Shawnee American Native tribe out of whose lands the county was formed.
Created: August 25, 1855
Topeka 1858 – present
County Courthouse – Topeka
Location: 200 SE 7th Street / Quincy Street
Built: 1963 – 1964
Architect: Raymond A Coolidge and Philip Coolidge
Contractor: M W Watson Inc.
Description: The building faces north and is a four story buff colored brick, concrete and glass rectangular shaped structure. The north front has a large canopy at the first story entrance. Horizontal bands of brick separate the stories with no windows towards the west end of the building. The building was remodeled in 1992. The architect was Ossman Associates, Inc. and the contractor was McPherson Construction.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by J C Holland and constructed by F E Stevenson Associates. In 1896. The building was demolished. Other companies involved in the construction of the present courthouse were Burgess Latimer & Miller, mechanical engineer, Stuart G Hazard, structural engineer, Sheahan & Degan Inc., mechanical contractor and Shrake Electric Company, electrical contractor.
See: Located in the county is the Kansas Supreme Court.
N – Jackson County
S – Osage County
Photos taken 2016