Jackson County is named for Andrew Jackson, who was the 7th President of the United States from 1829 to 1837.
Created: August 30, 1855
Holton 1855 – present
County Courthouse – Holton
Location: 400 New York Avenue / 4th Street
Built: 1920 – 1921
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Thomas W Williamson & Company of Topeka
Contractor: James Cuthbert & Sons of Topeka
Description: The building faces west and is a three story buff colored brick and stone structure. The west front has five rectangular opening with recessed entrance. Four large columns rise from the second story to the top of the third story with a wide header above. The north and south sides have two columns above a single rectangular opening. The first story has horizontal stone. There is a balustrade along the flat roof line.
Note: The cost of construction of the courthouse was $111,875. Only three men were injured, and two of them were the contractors themselves. James Cuthbert, the elder, fell from the roof to the court house floor, and his son fell fifteen feet from a scaffold while working on the outside of the building.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by John S McKeen and constructed by Joseph Hockam, Amos A Fenn, Van Liddell and John S Anderson in 1872.
S – Shawnee County
Photos taken 2010