Jefferson County is named for Thomas Jefferson, who was President of the United States from 1801 to 1809.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Atchison County
Created: August 30, 1855
Oskaloosa 1855 – present
County Courthouse – Oskaloosa
Location: 300 Jefferson Street / Liberty Street
Built: 1896 – 1897
Architect: Kiene and Bradley and Associates
Contractor: J A Lundgren & Sons
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on the spacious landscaped grounds of the Courthouse Square in the center of Oskaloosa. The south front has a central entrance on the first story with glass panels and small over hanging canopy. Six blue vertical pillars run along the building. A horizontal concrete band divides the first and second stories. The second story northwest corner of the building has a large, faceless clock. The roof line is flat. The building houses the County District Court of the 2nd Judicial District. The building was remodeled in 1988. The architect was Ossmann & Associates of Topeka and the contractor was Tefft & Donaldson Contractors.
History: The county was created in 1855 and Oskaloosa was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was a two story structure designed by E D Baldwin and constructed by Grisham & Swain in Oskaloosa in 1868. The courthouse was destroyed by a tornado in 1960. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1961 to 1962.
County Courthouse - Oskaloosa
Picture 1868 County Courthouse
Photos taken 2010