Morton County

US States / H-L / Kansas / Morton County
Morton

Morton County is named for Oliver Hazard Perry Throck Morton ( 1823 – 1877 ), who was a United States Senator from Indiana.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Stanton County

E – Stevens County

S – Texas County, Oklahoma

W – Baca County, Colorado

 

Created:  February 20, 1886                  Map of Kansas highlighting Morton County

County Seat:

Richfield  1886 – 1963

Elkhart     1963 – present

 

County Courthouse – Elkhart

 

Location:  1025 Morton Street / Emery Lane

Built:  1963 – 1964

Style:  Modern

Architect:  W I Fisher & Company of Wichita

Contractor:  James Beveridge of Ulysses

 

Description: The building faces north and is a one story concrete, stone, brick and glass structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds to the east of the center of Elkhart. The north front has black colored square columns supporting an overhanging roof and glass walls, on the east side and on the west is a large yellow colored stone wall over a dark red colored brick wall. The west side is dark red colored brick. The roof line is flat. The courtroom is located at the center of the building.

 

County Courthouse Ruins – Richfield

 

0505nm16

 

Location:  NE – 7th Street / Pine Street

Built:  1935 – 1936

Style:  Federal

Architect:  Works Progress Administration

Contractor:  Work Projects Administration

 

Description: The building faces east and is a one story white colored course stone Federal style structure. The building was constructed in the midst of the dust bowl and was originally a machine shop and maintenance building. When the courthouse was destroyed by fire in 1950, the building became the courthouse until 1961. This is a Work Projects Administration project. The building lies abandoned. The site of the former courthouse is southeast across the street on the southeast corner of Mulberry Street and 7th Street where the pad of the former courthouse is located along with the old red colored brick jail. 

 

History:  The first courthouse was designed by J M Anderson and constructed in 1889 in Richfield. The building was destroyed by fire in 1950. The second courthouse was constructed in 1935 as a machine shop and became the courthouse in 1950. The county seat was moved to Elkhart in 1961 and the third and present courthouse was constructed in 1963 to 1964.

 

 

0510nm16

County Courthouse – Elkhart

 

 

0458nm07

 

 

x2_0

 

 

0514nm16

 

 

0516nm16

 

 

0460nm07

 

 

x1_6

 

 

xx2

 

 

0459nm07

 

 

0506nm16

Former County Courthouse – Richfield

 

 

0507nm16

Old Jail – Richfield

 

 

0522nm16

Picture former 1889 County Courthouse – Richfield

 

 

0520nm16

Picture former 1889 County Courthouse – Richfield

Photos taken 2007 and 2016