Stevens County is named for Thaddeus Stevens ( 1792-1868 ), a United States senator from Pennsylvania, who was a passionate advocate of Radical republicanism.
Created: March 20, 1873
Hugoton 1886 – present
County Courthouse – Hugoton
Location: 200 East 6th Street / Monroe Street
Built: 1950 – 1952
Architect: Mann & Company of Hutchinson and David O Thompson Associates
Contractor: Creathbaum Brothers Construction Company of Liberal
Description: The building faces south and is a two story stone, glass and concrete structure. The south front has a large window above the entrance. The building has a number of square walls and protrusions. The roof line is flat. On the north side is the large meeting room of the Memorial Hall. The building is named as the Stevens County Courthouse and Memorial Hall.
Note: The previous courthouse was built in 1888.
N – Grant County
E – Seward County
S – Texas County, Oklahoma
W – Morton County
Old Courthouse 1888
Photos taken 2007 and 2016