Owen County

US States / H-L / Indiana / Owen County
Owen

Owen County is named for Abraham Owen, who was a colonel and who died at the Battle of Tippecanoe.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Putnam County and Morgan County

E – Morgan County and Monroe County

S – Greene County

W – Clay County

 

Created:  December 21, 1818                                                    Map of Indiana highlighting Owen County

County Seat: 

Lancaster  1819 – 1820

Spencer    1820 – present

 

County Courthouse – Spencer

 

Location:  60 South Main Street / Franklin Street

Built:  1910 – 1911

Style:  Neo-Classical

Architect:  Jesse Townsend Johnson of Indianapolis

Contractor:  Christian Kanzier & Son of Evansville

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a three story light brown colored stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Spencer. The west front has a recessed entrance with small balcony above. There is a large window on the second story. A cornice runs below the roof line. On the center of the roof is a round green colored dome with clocks on each side. All of the doors, trim and moldings in the courthouse are made of oak. The baseboards however, are marble. The stairways are of cast iron construction with ornate iron balustrade in a geometric design. The geometric design of the balustrade is the same from the first story to the third story. The banisters and newel posts are all constructed of iron with oak railings. The courtroom is centrally located on the west sode of the third story and has a spacious high-ceilinged room with more ornate pilasters than any other place in the courthouse. The capital of the twenty foot high columns is a cartouche with leaf and circular shapes surrounding it, ending with folded draped patterns on either side of the base of the capital. A stylized vine pattern is used briefly just below the capital outlined by the same rectangular classical ornamentation used throughout the courthouse. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 20th Judicial District.

 

See:  National Register opf Historic Places – Owen County Courthouse

 

See:  The 20th Judicial District includes Greene County, Lawrence County and Monroe County

 

History:  The county was created in 1818 and Lancaster was selected as the county seat in 1819. In the same year, the county seat was moved to Spencer. The first court met in the home of John Dunn.  The first courthouse was a log structure erected in 1820. The second courthouse was a brick structure designed by James Galletly and built in 1825 at a cost of $750. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1910 to 1911 at a cost of $106,000.

 

  

1320i-i08

County Courthouse – Spencer

 

 

1321i-i08

 

 

x2_0

 

 

1323i-i08

 

 

1325i-i08

 

 

1324i-i08

Photos taken 2008