Putnam County is named for Israel Putnam, who was a hero in the French and Indians War and a general in the American Revolutionary War.
Created: December 31, 1821
Greencastle 1823 – present
County Courthouse – Greencastle
Location: 1 Courthouse Square / West Washington Street
Built: 1903 – 1905
Architect: John W Gaddis of Vincennes
Contractor: Caldwell & Drake of Columbus
Description: The building faces south and is a three story stone structure. The south portico has three rectangular opening on the first story and four columns rise from the second to third story with a wide pediment containing a clock. The first story is cut stone. A wide cornice runs along the roof line.
Photos taken 2008