Morgan County is named for Daniel Morgan, who defeated the British at the Battle of Cowpens during the American Revolutionary War.
Created: December 31, 1821
Martinsville 1822 – present
County Courthouse – Martinsville
Location: 10 East Washington Street / Main Street
Built: 1857 – 1859
Architect: Isaac Hodgson of Indianapolis
Contractor: Perry M Blankenship of Martinsville
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. At the south front is a high square red brick clock tower. The entrance is a one story extension from the main building. The east section is higher with a peaked roof. White colored stone trim adorns the corners. Additions were added in 1895, 1912, 1934, 1956 and 1977.
E – Johnson County
Photos taken 2008