Monroe County is named for James Monroe, who was President of the United States from 1817 to 1825.
Created: January 14, 1818
Bloomington 1818 – present
County Courthouse – Bloomington
Location: Courthouse Square / East 6th Street
Built: 1907 – 1908
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: Wing & Mahurin of Fort Wayne
Contractor: Calwell & Drake
Description: The building faces south and is a three story and stone structure. Each side has a projecting portico with horizontal stone on the first story and four columns rising from the second to third story with a wide header at the top. A cornice runs along the roof line with balustrade on the top. In the center of the building is an octagonal dome with clock and rounded roof. On the top is the original fish-shaped weather vane from the 1826 courthouse.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by William Low and built by John Ketcham in 1826. In 1856, John F Rodges built an addition. A further addition was built in 1875.
County Justice Building – Bloomington
Location: 301 North College Avenue / West 7th Street
Description: The building faces east and is a four story concrete and glass structure. The east front has large arches on the first and second stories at the south end of the building with recessed entrance. The north end has glass panels. The windows on the third and fourth stories are small. The roof line is flat. The building is named as the Charlotte T Zietlow Justice Building.
S – Lawrence County
Photos taken 2008