Saint Joseph County is named for the Saint Joseph River, which was named for Saint Joseph, who is the patron saint of New France.
Created: April 1, 1830
St. Joseph 1830 – 1931
South Bend 1831 – present
County Courthouse – South Bend
Location: 101 South Main Street / West Washington Street
Built: 1896 – 1897
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: Charles Allerton Coolidge of Boston, Massachusetts
Contractor: James Stewart & Company of St. Louis, Missouri.
Description: The building faces east and is a two story gray stone style structure. The east center section extends from the main building and has a small portico on the first story supported by four columns. At the top of the section is a pediment with clock. The windows on the second story are arched. On the center of the roof is a large dome.
Note: The cost of construction was $240,000.
Old County Courthouse – South Bend
Location: 112 South Lafayette Boulevard / West Washington Street
Built: 1854 – 1855
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: John M Van Osdeland and Olmstead.
Description: The building faces west and is a two story buff colored brick and stone rectangular structure. The west front has a large portico with six columns rising to a wide pediment at the roof line. On the roof id a square wood cupola. The roof is hipped.
County Administration – South Bend
Location: 227 West Jefferson Boulevard / South Lafayette Boulevard
Built: 1967 – 1969
Architect: Maurer, Van Ryn & Natali, Inc.
Description: The building faces south and is a fourteen story red colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The central tower is rectangular with a flat roof line. On the east and west are three story wings with recessed first story and vertical pillars. The building houses the County and City offices.
E – Elkhart County
W – LaPorte County
Photos taken 2008