Carroll County is named for Charles Carroll, who was a signer of the Declaration of Independence and who resided in Carrollton.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
E – Ogle County
S – Whiteside County
Created: February 22, 1839
Savanna 1839 – 1843
Mount Carroll 1843 – present
County Courthouse – Mount Carroll
Location: 301 North Main Street / East Market Street
Built: 1855 – 1858
Architect: William B Olmsted and Peter A Nicholson of Chicago
Contractor: Locan labor
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Mount Carroll on the north side of the Courthouse Complex. The building has a course limestone base and the upper windows are arched. Built in 1958, the middle building has a large portico on the west front supported by four large white columns. Built in 1895, the south building is a two story red colored brick structure with arched entrance topped by a slanted stone roof. The base of the building is course stone. Horizontal bands of light stone divide the floors and edge the windows.
Note: The courthouse was repaired and completed in 1858 to 1860 by William T Miller and Jacob P Emmert with stone mason James Watson and brick layers James Hallet and B H Hallet.
History: The county was created in 1839 and Savanna was selected as the county seat. In 1843, the county seat was moved to Mount Carroll. The county rented premises until the first and present courthouse was constructed in 1856 to 1860 at a cost of $30,500.
County Courthouse – north section – Mount Caroll
County Courthouse – middle section
County Courthouse – south section
Photos taken 2007