Stephenson County is named for Benjamin Stephenson, who was the Adjutant General of the Illinois Territory from 1813 to 1814.
Created: March 4, 1837
Freeport 1837 – present
County Courthouse – Freeport
Location: 15 North Galena Avenue / East Stephenson Street
Built: 1973 – 1974
Architect: Johnson, Kile and Seehaussen
Contractor: Cheeseman Construction
Description: The building faces southwest and is a two story concrete, stone and glass structure. Horizontal pillars support the outside of the building with the first story being recessed. The second story has few windows and large panels of buff colored concrete. The roof line is recessed with brown color.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by E E Myers and built by A Walbaum Company in 1873. The building was torn down for the construction of the present courthouse.
E – Winnebago County
Photos taken by 2006 and 2010